Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Christmas

Our very first Christmas card. 
We always joke that my Dad is just like Clark Griswold. He spends more time preparing for the Christmas season than enjoying it. I guess "it's all part of the experience honey."
Can you find Griswold?

Sinterklaas never disappoints.

Following a cousin's wedding reception, we took McCrae around to see the lights. December was so abnormally warm, it was a great night!
We even finagled a Christmas party with friends this year. How lucky we are to have all of these wonderful people in our lives.
And a roommate get-together. I'm pretty sure it had been YEARS since we were all together. It was fabulous.
Craig and Jerrie took us to the Marriott one weekend in December. It was loads of fun, we slept terribly (we're still learning how to travel with children), but we had a great time seeing the lights and had a fabulous breakfast in the morning.
McCrae wore his hand-knitted Christmas sweater to church. Thanks to Libby Greer, he looked incredibly festive.
We are so lucky to have such wonderful families that host amazing Christmas parties. We love getting together around the holidays. December is busy, but it wouldn't be a true Christmas without these events!
The Grammy Party is held the Sunday before Christmas each year.


"Must be Santa" is a MUST at every Grammy Christmas Party.
"Jingle bells!"
Strega Nona
What would we do without Gram? She has unlimited amounts of creativity and energy...my brothers always tease and tell me I'm going to be the next Grammy. To that I say-What an honor!
The Egbert Party is held Christmas Eve Eve. (Or as Grandpa Egbert would say, Joseph Smith's birthday) It was quite different without Grandpa around this year, but it was special to remember him together as a family. He always insisted that "Silent Night" be sung by all missionaries in their missionary tongue. I'm not sure how many languages we even have any more. But here are a few. Russian:
Portuguese:
English:
Spanish:
and Dutch:
Grandma is a woman of few words, but she always has something funny to say.

My cousin Ashley read a beautiful poem in honor of Grandpa:

I'm Spending Christmas with Jesus Christ this Year

I see the countless Christmas trees,
Around the world below.
With tiny lights, like heaven's stars,
Reflecting on the snow.

The sight is so spectacular,
Please wipe away that tear.
For I'm spending Christmas,
With Jesus Christ this year.

I hear the many Christmas songs,
That people hold so dear.
But the sounds of music can't compare,
With the Christmas choir up here.

For I have no words to tell you,
The joy their voices bring.
For it is beyond description,
To hear the angels sing.

I can't tell you of the splendor,
Or the peace here in this place.
Can you just imagine Christmas,
With our Savior, face to face?

I'll ask Him to light your spirit,
As I tell Him of your love.
So then pray one for another,
As I lift you eyes above.

Please let your hearts be joyful,
And let your spirit sing.
For I'm Spending Christmas in Heaven,
And I'm walking with the King.

We were all in tears, but extremely touched. We miss him terribly, but know that we will be with him forever.
Christmas Eve is always spent with the Nielsens. We had a new baby Jesus this year-Sarah!


We decided to spend the night at my parents this year since they will be gone for the next 3 Christmases. Julianne and Garett and Marissa were all there too so it was a lot of fun. McCrae thought his train was pretty neat...for about 5 seconds.
What he really loved was his new Minky blanket!
"Trini-Dad". Marissa really has my Dad's sense of humor.

 All McCrae wanted to do was read his favorite book at Grammy's, "The Wheels on the Bus."
A true cowgirl.
When we were all finished opening, Conner said I had one more waiting for me. I had to follow the green yarn all through the house before I found it.
A mom-mobile! I had been riding my old mountain bike with McCrae strapped to the back. I think only 3 gears worked. It was an awesome surprise!
We can't wait for Spring!
It has been fun watching McCrae and Paityn learn to play with each other. I'm pretty sure she'll outgrow him in the next 6 months!
For a wall in the mission home...tags of all the missionaries in the family.
New Years bowling.
This year's gingerbread house-a family tree. We each got to decorate our own gingerbread man. It was a mess but pretty fun to all be able to participate.
In all the years I have been a Nielsen, I had never been sledding down Ephraim Canyon. It was surprisingly scary, but we had a blast.

Wow, we feel so blessed this year, and every year for all that we have. Most importantly our family. We thank Heavenly Father every day for His Son, Jesus Christ, and that through Him, we will be able to be with our families forever. Merry Christmas!

No comments: