Sunday, July 29, 2012

Triathlon

I recently participated in a sprint triathlon. A bunch of my high school friends persuaded me and I took on the challenge. The triathlon would consist of a 1/2 mile swim, 12 mile bike ride, and a 3 mile run. Since I hadn't had any formal swim training, Jen agreed to help coach me. She also let me borrow her old road bike. After 8 weeks of training, I felt prepared, but a really nervous for the open water swim. Emma and I decided to go for a little dip the day before in order to prepare us for the open water. I was hyperventilating-I sure hoped that I wouldn't be as anxious on race day!

We swam in the Sand Hollow Reservoir and I was NERVOUS! So nervous, in fact, that I swam much faster than expected. My prayers were answered-I stayed calm, swam fast, and didn't drown.
Once the swim was out of the way, it was smooth sailing!
Transitioning to the bike.
Emma and I were neck and neck the majority of the bike ride. It was so fun to have some friendly competition to keep me going. In the end, she would beat me by a couple minutes on the run, but I was just happy to say that I never stopped running.
The race was exhilerating! I was so happy I did it, especially with so many good friends. Not to mention my fan club: Mom, Julianne and Conner who cheered me on the whole way.
I know we're missing a few girls, but here is the squad. Jessy, Ashley, Holly, Emma, Mallory (who came all the way to St. George just to be our #1 fan), Jen and a few older sisters of the group as well. Our "first annual" triathlon was a success!

No comments: